Viadrinicum is an annual summer school devoted to the countries of the Eastern Partnership, and the larger context of Central and Eastern Europe. This year’s edition is designed as a transsectoral DigitalLab, aiming to explore social and political dimensions of digital transformation from multiple theoretical and methodological perspectives.
With the help of online academic seminars, the school will allow its participants to critically engage with the notions of the digital self and the (post-)digital social, datafication and algorithmisation of life, as well as digital infrastructures and smart technologies. Among others, the programme includes the following contributions:
• Dr. Evgeny Morozov, Envisioning Collective Agency Beyond Digital Capitalism
• Prof. Dr. Jan-Hendrik Passoth (Frankfurt/Oder), Public Value Tech? Platforms, Digital Infrastructure and Public Services
• Prof. Dr. Ulrike Klinger (Frankfurt/Oder), Protests, Platforms and the Digital Public Sphere
• Prof. Dr. Jürgen Neyer & Dr. Susann Worschech (Frankfurt/Oder), Local Democracy in Smart Cities
• Case studies of several activist and artistic initiatives from Eastern and Central Europe
Parallel to that, the school also features three Lab.Workshops (Art.Lab, Doc.Lab, Research.Lab), where the participants will be able to enhance practical and methodological skills, by means of developing their own small (team) projects under the close guidance of facilitators from the respective fields.
Besides that, there will be round tables with researchers from the Center for East European and International Studies (ZOiS, Berlin), artistic contributions, an online film screening and an Open Space session, where participants will have a chance to discuss their own scientific or cultural projects with others.
Pending on the epidemiological situation, the school will take place in a hybrid format or purely online.
Participants of the school will be able to receive a scholarship (up to 200 €) that can be used to cover transportation expenses, in case a visit to Frankfurt (Oder) is possible, or other expenditures related to their project work during the school.
The participation is free of charge.
The draft of the programme can be downloaded here.